Papers & Books Published by Dr HC Chang
An avid researcher, Dr HC Chang has published over 20 peer-reviewed papers, a majority on Orthopaedic Sports Medicine in prestigious Sports Medicine journals such as the American Journal of Sports Medicine and the Arthroscopy Journal. Dr HC Chang has contributed a book chapter on “Allograft Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction” in the 4th edition of Insall and Scott Surgery of the knee, a “bible” for knee surgeons. He also co-authored a new surgical technique in double-bundle anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. He has been invited to speak on many issues related to sports medicine, at local and international meetings. Dr HC Chang also serves on the Editorial Board of the Singapore Medical Journal.
- The Growth and Development of Orthopaedic Sports Medicine in Singapore PCC Chang, HC Chang, KC Ang, K Satku Annals, Academy of Medicine, Singapore Sept 2002, Vol 31(5):573-578
- Return to Sports After Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction – A Review of Patients with Minimum 5-year Follow-up. DY Lee, SA Karim, HC Chang Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2008 Apr;37(4):273-6.
Shoulder Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repair
- Evaluation of BioCorkscrew and Bioknotless RC suture anchor rotator cuff repair fixation: an in vitro biomechanical study. JT Ammon, J Nyland, HC Chang, R Burden, DN Caborn Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2007 Nov;15(11):1375-81.
- The Relationship of the Lateral Cord of the Brachial Plexus to the Coracoid Process during Arthroscopic Coracoid Surgery – A Dynamic Cadaveric Study HC Chang, WJ Pan, YS Teo, Sarina Abdul Karim American Journal of Sports Medicine, 2008 Jun 16.[Epub ahead of print]
Shoulder Arthroscopic Treatment of Impingement Syndrome
- Arthroscopic subacromial decompression for stage-II impingement. KK Lim, HC Chang, JL Tan, BK Chan J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2007 Aug;15(2):197-200.
Double Bundle ACL Reconstruction
- Anatomic double bundle ACL reconstruction: a literature review. C Crawford, J Nyland, S Landes, R Jackson, HC Chang, A Nawab, DN Caborn Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2007 Aug;15(8):946-64; discussion 945.
- Anatomical Double-Bundle Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction: Maximizing Benefits While Minimizing Complexity: A Balanced Potential Approach. J Nyland, S Landes, C Crawford, HC Chang, A Nawab, DN Caborn Techniques in Knee Surgery. 6(3):191-203, September 2007.
- Single femoral socket double-bundle anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction using tibialis anterior tendon: description of a new technique. DNM Caborn, HC Chang Arthroscopy Oct 2005, 21(10):1273.
Allograft ACL Reconstruction
- Book chapter – Allograft Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction Chang Haw Chong & David NM Caborn Insall and Scott Surgery of the Knee, 4th edition, Chapter 41 Published by Churchill Livingston Hardbound, ISBN: 0-443-06671-X, 2048 pages, publication date: 2006
- Effect of Cryoprotectant Incubation Time on Handling Properties of Allogeneic Tendons Prepared for Knee Ligament Reconstruction. Henson J, Nyland J, Chang HC, Caborn DN. J Biomater Appl. 2008 Nov 5.
- Biomechanical and tissue handling property comparison of decellularized and cryopreserved tibialis anterior tendons following extreme incubation and rehydration. Nyland J, Larsen N, Burden R, Chang HC, Caborn DN. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2008 Sep 13.
- Biomechanical Comparison of the Bioabsorbable RetroScrew System, BioScrew XtraLok with Stress Equalization Tensioner and 35-mm Delta Screws for Tibialis Anterior Graft-Tibial Tunnel Fixation in Porcine Tibiae HC Chang, J Nyland, A Nawab, R Burden, DNM Caborn Am J Sports Med. Jul 2005, 33(7):1057-64
- Self-reported patient outcomes at a minimum of 5 years after allograft anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with or without medial meniscus transplantation: an age-, sex-, and activity level-matched comparison in patients aged approximately 50 years. D Rueff, J Nyland, Y Kocabey, HC Chang, D Caborn Arthroscopy. 2006 Nov;22(11):1225-32.
- Bilateral spontaneous rupture of the quadriceps tendon as an initial presentation of alkaptonuria-a case report. SY Chua, HC Chang 2006 Oct;13(5):408-10. Epub 2006 Aug 9
- Paget-Schroetter Syndrome: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. CH Wong, HC Chang, CO Low The Internet Journal of Orthopedic Surgery 2004. Volume 2 Number 1
- Metastasis of an Adenocarcinoma of the Stomach to the 4th Metacarpal Bone HC Chang, KH Lew, CO Low Hand Surgery Dec 2001, Vol 6(2):239-242
- A Case of Bizarre Parosteal Osteochondromatous Proliferation of the Hand JL Soon, HC Chang, CS Sim, LC Teoh, CO Low Singapore Medical Journal January 2003, Vol 44(1):27-30
- Necrotising Fasciitis – Clinical Presentation, Microbiology and Determinants of Mortality CH Wong, HC Chang, Shanker, JL Tan, CO Low Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (American Edition) August 2003, Vol 85:1454-60
- Extremity Osteosarcoma – A Southeast Asian Experience HC Chang, RWH Pho, VP Kumar, AK Kour, K Satku Annals, Academy of Medicine, Singapore Sept 2002, Vol 31(5):598-606
- Haematuria Clinic – A Primary Audit and Considerations for a One-Stop Assessment Centre PK Tan, HC Chang, YY Sitoh Singapore Medical Journal Vol 39 Issue 11, Nov 1998, 501-503
- Recurrent Patellar Dislocation: Reappraising our Approach to Surgery. AK Lim, HC Chang, JH Hui Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2008 Apr;37(4):320-4.
- A cyclic testing comparison of FasT-Fix and RapidLoc devices in human cadaveric meniscus. J Nyland, HC Chang, Y Kocabey, A Nawab, J Brand, DN Caborn Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2007 Dec 20; [Epub ahead of print]
- A biomechanical comparison of the FasT-Fix meniscal repair suture system and the RapidLoc device in cadaver meniscus. Y Kocabey, HC Chang, JC Brand Jr, A Nawab, J Nyland, DN Caborn. Arthroscopy. 2006 Apr;22(4):406-13.
- Biomechanical evaluation of meniscal repair systems: a comparison of the Meniscal Viper Repair System, the vertical mattress FasT-Fix Device, and vertical mattress ethibond sutures. HC Chang, J Nyland, DNM Caborn, R Burden Am J Sports Med. Dec 2005, 33(12):1846-52.
- Effect of lesion location on fixation strength of the meniscal viper repair system: an in vitro study using porcine menisci. HC Chang, DN Caborn, J Nyland, R Burden Arthroscopy. 2006 Apr;22(4):394-9.
- A simple method of meniscus repair using the arthroscopic outside-in technique. KC Chong, BK Chan, HC Chang Arthroscopy. 2006 Jul;22(7):794.e1-5.
- Clinical Evaluation of Arthroscopic-assisted Allograft Meniscal Transplantation. HC Chang, KL the, KL Leong, SL Mak, SA Karim Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2008 Apr;37(4):266-7.
- Knee dislocations-a retrospective study comparing operative versus closed immobilization treatment outcomes. CH Wong, JL Tan, HC Chang, LW Khin, CO Low Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. Mar 2004
- Fragment-specific fracture fixation and double-column plating of unstable distal radial fractures using AO mini-fragment implants and Kirschner wires. HC Chang, SY Poh, SC Seah, DT Chua, BK Chan, CO Low Injury. 2007 Nov;38(11):1259-67. Epub 2007 Jul 12
- Lateral Condylar Fractures of the Humerus in Children HC Chang, LH Tan, KS Lam The Journal of the ASEAN Orthopaedic Association Vol 13 No. 1, July 2000, 37-41
- Rubber Foreign Bodies in Puncture Wounds of the Foot in Patients wearing Rubber-soled Shoes HC Chang, William Verhoeven, WM Chay Foot and Ankle International May 2001, Vol 22(5):409-14
- Conservative Treatment of Redisplaced Colles’ Fractures in Elderly Patients Older than 60 Years Old – Anatomical and Functional Outcome HC Chang, SC Tay, BK Chan, CO Low Hand Surgery Dec 2001, Vol 6(2):137-14
- Cancellous screw fixation for femoral neck fractures: one hundred and sixteen patients. KB Lee, TS Howe, HC Chang Annals, Academy of Medicine, Singapore Mar 2004, 33(2):248-51