- As many as 40% to 60% of components may be malaligned by more than 2° from the preoperative plan with conventional methods.
Use of Computer Navigation
- Navigation has been shown to improve postoperative leg alignment over that obtained in conventional UKA.
– Jenny JY, Boeri C. Unicompartmental knee prosthesis implantation with a nonimage- based navigation system: rationale, technique, case-control comparative study with a conventional instrumented implantation. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2003 Jan;11(1):40–5.
- Although navigation is a powerful visual aid, surgical outcomes still depend on the mechanical tools used in procedures.
- Even with computer navigation, the number of outliers (beyond 2° of the preoperatively planned implant position) may approach 15%.